|Library will be closed, Thursday & Friday, November 27 & 28 for Thanksgiving.|
Library will be closing at 4 pm on Tuesday, December 2nd for Community Center Tree Lighting.
Board of Trustees
- Gary Glover, President
- Martin Kuhn
- Shelly Laborde
- Irene Lambert
- James Mariner
- Donna Moody, Secretary
- Patricia Nyborg, Vice-President
How We Checked Out in 2013
It has been a great year at your public library. The staff is especially proud of the following new services and accomplishments:
- It has been a great year at your public library. The staff is especially proud of the following new services and accomplishments:
- The library was very excited to have its first ever author signing with four of our local authors.
- Security Public Library received an $11,185 grant from state for children’s literacy materials.
- Mango Languages database was added to the library website. Learn 12 foreign languages and 15 ESL languages using this interactive database.
- Ancestry.com genealogy database is available on our library computers.
- Library has eight pre-loaded Nooks E-readers available for checkout at the library.
- All public computers were replaced. Library added two kids education stations and an iMac.
- The 15th annual Poetry Contest for teens and adults encouraged the creation of 96 original poems.
- “Dig Into Reading”, the Children’s Summer Reading Program, had 1,368 children joining the program.
- “Beneath the Surface:”, the Teen Summer Reading Program, kept 422 teens reading throughout the summer.
- The 2013 Fall Story Contest for teens and adults encouraged the creation of 310 original stories.
- The 14th annual Adult Winter Reading Program, “Warm Up With a Good Book,” had a total of 514 adult participants.
- SPL helped Security/Widefield “raise readers” by offering 529 storytimes, programs and outreaches, attended by 11,123 local children.
- The Friends of the Security Public Library contributed $4,000 to library programs and contests.
Facts and Figures
- The library served an estimated population of 45,000.
- SPL issued 2,898 new library cards, bringing the total registration to 28,982.
- SPL circulated 160,964 books, magazines, audios, and other materials!
- The staff answered 58,243 informational questions.
- The library presented 732 programs that were attended by 24,390 children, teens, and adults.
- A total of 5,937 new items were added to the collection.
- The staff arranged for patrons to borrow 2,998 items from other library systems. In addition, the library lent 4,471 items to other libraries in the state.
- Staff: 7 full-time & 4 part-time. Revenues: $627,000